Immigrant to Canada or Newcomer Transition Counselling
Canada is a country that welcomes people from all over the world. We have over 200,000 immigrants to Canada every year. In spite of this, many newcomers experience culture shock.
Are you a new immigrant to Canada? As a newcomer to Ottawa, are you facing any of the following issues or challenges?
- Difficulty adjusting to a new culture, unspoken rules and expectations
- Feeling stressed about people misinterpreting your behaviours or intentions
- Uncertain about how to re-establish your livelihood, your career and your relationships
- Feelings of loss and/or emptiness related to your transition
- Difficulty establishing new trustworthy or safe relationships
- Experiencing loneliness, a sense of hopelessness or depression
- Disappointment or anger that your hopes and expectations have gone unfulfilled
- Feel like you do not fit in or belong in your new social environment
These issues and challenges can make immigration an overwhelming transitional process. As a result, a you and your family’s well-being can be negatively affected. Family-Therapy in Ottawa is ready to help. Our therapists are caring, empathetic and qualified to help you cope with and overcome some of the challenges you may be facing. Call us today at 613-287-3799 to book your appointment.
Immigration Transition – An Invisible Stress with Serious Effects
The stress that you might experience as an immigrant or newcomer can pose a greater risk to your mental and physical health due to the invisibility of its’ real weight. Immigration transition places a high demand on a your mental and emotional resources for adaption, readjustment, and absorption of a great deal of new information while probably speaking a different language and adjusting to new environments and cultures. A lot of energy and time are required to cope with the change process while you are trying to live your everyday life. Unlike most mental health issues, immigration transition issues tend fall by the wayside and not get the attention and support you need.
Immigration and newcomer experiences are not all the same; everyone experiences the transition differently, even within the same family. It may be easier for some, but harder and sometimes devastating for others. Prolonged or cumulative negative stress, regardless of the source, can have serious consequences on a person’s mental and physical health, such as depression, stress related disorders, and anxiety. Don’t let the source of your stress weigh you down any longer. Get the help and support you need and deserve at Family-Therapy. Call us and see how we can help.
Take the first step by calling us today. Our dedicated psychotherapists in
Ottawa want to help.