Bullying at School?
Believe it or not it’s already time to start thinking about your children and getting back into school! Bullying at school is unfortunately a common event for children and youth of all ages.
- 160,000 teens skip school every day because of bullying.
- 7% of students report being bullied 2 to 3 times a month or more
- 1 in 10 kids drop out of school because on ongoing bullying
- Unfortunately teachers and schools do not intervene as much or as often as required to stop bullying
- 1 in 4 students report being bullied at school
5 quick tips on how to deal with bullying
1) Listen without judging or blaming your child if they complain about being bullying
2) Help you child build and nurture healthy positive friendships
3) Teach your child to seek support and help from others
4) Support your child if they complain about being bullying
5) Teach your child how to respond to bullying – walk away, tell bully to stop, seek out other peers or adult support, avoid isolated areas at school or on their walk home
if your child or teen experiences physical or emotional bullying come talk with our child and youth therapist to help you and your family overcome bullying.
Visit us at http://family-therapy.ca. Talk with Greg or Kelly our child and youth therapists.
Here’s a short article from the Globe and Mail about some steps you can take to help you child stop being bullied.